Real Simple Magazine is one of my favorite resources for healthy meals. Here is a recipe I recently prepared. My family and I loved it and it was so easy to make!
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 20m | Total Time: 30m
* 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
* 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 4 4-ounce pieces skinless wild salmon fillet
* kosher salt and black pepper
* 2 navel or blood oranges
* 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* 6 cups baby spinach
* 1/2 cup fresh cilantro sprigs
* 1/2 avocado, sliced
* 2 scallions, thinly sliced
1. Cook the barley according to the package directions. Spread on a plate and refrigerate until cool.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large cast-iron or other nonstick skillet over medium heat. Season the salmon with ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper and cook until opaque throughout, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and refrigerate until cool. Using a fork, flake the salmon into bite-size pieces.
3. Cut away the peel and pith of the oranges: Working over a small bowl, cut along both sides of each orange segment, releasing the segments into the bowl.
4. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the accumulated orange juice to a large bowl and whisk in the vinegar, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Add the spinach, cilantro, avocado, orange segments, scallions, and cooked barley and toss gently to combine. Serve topped with the salmon.