Just because you gave up white bread and sugar doesn’t mean you have to give up French Toast! This recipe is made withsprouted grain bread, egg whites and protein-packed Greek yogurt. Special bonus: it’s gluten-free! The whole family will love it – try a batch this weekend. Serves 5.
- 5 slices cinnamon raisin, sprouted grain bread
- 1 cup egg whites
- 6 oz fat free, Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
- Optional: additional fat free Greek yogurt and pomegranate seeds for topping.
- Preheat a skillet, or pancake griddle over medium high heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg whites, yogurt, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Dip each slice of bread in the egg white mixture, flipping to coat each side. Place on the prepared skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, until the eggs set and turn that wonderful golden color.
- Serve immediately with the additional yogurt and pomegranate.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 127 calories, 0 fat, 157mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, and 12g protein. Thanks to Catherine Rudat for this recipe!